Monday, April 30, 2018

Skyline Quilt

In a small group that I belong to....(there are only 4 of us)...we decided to make blocks from Tula Pink's 100 Modern Quilt Blocks.....I had a collection of fabrics in browns & aqua - with numbers and words and thought they would work for this.   (Elementary by Sweetwater).
I loved the idea of the Skyline quilt in the book - but really did not need any more huge quilts...so I worked out the size I wanted and worked out how many blocks to make.

These blocks are so easy - I could get through about 4 in a night - cutting and sewing (TV must have been pretty bad at the time) and I did minimise how many half square triangle blocks I did.

I wanted the quilt to look like a city skyline so I selected blocks for the top of each column to look like the top of office buildings - lightning conductors, air conditioning units etc.  Other than planning that I just made blocks.   I was able to organise them by colour groupings without any re-makes...that was a fluke.

I found the background (a wideback fabric) and cut the strips for in between and above the buildings and the side borders.  I quilted down each seam, vertically between the seams, across some seams horizontally, then I added machine embroidered stars and the moon - a lucky find to get a bali that looks just like the moon (I think).


This was Project #12 for the Sunday Stitchers' Challenge...and it was partially completed on time... Happy to say it is all done now.






5 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

Looks great...... Loved seeing it at scrub stitchin........

Fiona said...

your quilt is just so fantastic. I love the colours you have used. so so so effective.....
Hugz

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

wow, that is just stunning!! xx

Janice said...

Stunning

Deb R said...

Its a beautiful quilt! You have inspired me to join Gnome Angel when she starts this stitchalong in July :)