Friday, January 5, 2018

Starting on a Positive Note

We always start the year with good intentions - finish off all those UFOs - Don't start anything new until you finish all the ones you have already started - well maybe don't start a new one until you finish one of the old ones...something along those lines.

My Christmas break from work is usually fairly productive - this break though I was away from home visiting DD1 & husband, so that did have an impact on what I could achieve.

I wrote a list - always very motivating - and as at the end of my Annual Leave, this is how it looks:
The first item is a baby quilt for my Goddaughter...the baby is now 4 months old so it got top billing in the "To Do" list.

Another item was to make a block for the Quilts of Hope project - I picked up fabrics at the last Craft Alive show - you can just make one block using the fabrics supplied.  The theme for this year is "Future Stars".


Most of the list is "make progress on" so no photos of the other projects.  But I did put all the blocks that I have made so far for a project together, updated my diary(ies), finished tracing the blocks for the No Fuss Stitch-a-Long as well a  few "domestic" chores that had been waiting.
Only 2 items left - and they were both a bit ambitious considering the other things happening.


As well as this list, I have another list of 12 things that I am aiming to achieve by the end of the year.  De - in my Sunday Stitchers group suggested this idea.   We each have listed 12 "things" - they could be projects to finish - projects to make a start on - blocks for a quilt - anything you like - the aim is encouragement - not harassment..

I kept my list pretty simple - no point in putting in things that need too much work.
This is my list:


The plan is that at our next meeting - January 21st - we will bring along what we did on the project we listed as #2.

#2 is this - a quilt from a class I attended to help me learn how to use the quilt patterns that are built into that new monster machine I bought...I learnt a lot - still need practising in starting in the right place - and there is one block with the pattern going the wrong way - all part of the learning curve!

This is a close up of the design that we used.

From 8th January to the 22nd January, I am on Personal (Sick) Leave.  I have to have a small operation  on my right index finger....so although I won't be at work.(yay)....I can't use my hand much....so no sewing...only left hand typing....this could be a bit boring - but I do have a pile of magazines, patterns and paperwork to go through and DVDs and Foxtel and Netflix....Can't wait for those 2 weeks to be over though....

I'll be making the most of my last few hours of sewing time and joining in with FNWF.


10 comments:

Maria said...

Each year I hope to work on my UFO but I still have sew many.. Good luck with your list..
Your quilting looks fabulous..
Hope all goes well with your op.

Chookyblue...... said...

look like you are all planned out for the year.............go girl........hope the finger op goes well......can't wait to see you in April....

Bethan said...

A lovely quilt for your goddaughter. I hope your UFO list goes well - I really like the paper you used for it! Hope your operation goes well, and you don't get too bored not being able to stitch x

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Not many UFO projects here thank goodness...I hope the finger goes well...love the quilt ❤️❤️❤️❤️

retdairyqueen said...

Good luck with the UFOs
Hopefully your recovery wont be to long so you can get back into sewing quickly
The quilting looks great

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan oh wow your god daughter's quilt is gorgeous and cant wait to see how you go with your quilting,good luck with your list of UFO's and i hope all goes well with your small op,take care my friend xx

Fiona said...

very good making a list that is achievable and I like the idea your group is being 'accountable' with each other... its great motivation.... all the best with the finger op - a bit of a nuisance to be off work and not be able to sew. I only hope it also means no washing dishes, no housework etc.....
Take care.....
Hugz

Janice said...

Good luck with it all. I love the idea of being accountable.

Susan said...

Busy as always and your handwork is so pretty. Love your quilt diva list paper.

Michelle Ridgway said...

You have made grand progress on your ufos Susan. Love your quilting. Best wishes for your op....hope all goes well xx